Welcome to the Mistaya Lodge backcountry holiday trip planner page!
Scroll down to find out what to expect from start to finish, with links to useful pages and documents:
1) Check availability
1) Check availability, choose your dates, and complete the online form to reserve now, or call to speak to the Mistaya Lodge office.
2) Read and understand the waiver and terms and conditions
2) Read and understand the waiver and terms and conditions.
All guests skiing, snowboarding, hiking and mountaineering on a backcountry holiday with Mistaya Lodge are required to sign a Release of Liability, Waiver of Claims and Assumption of Risk Agreement. This document must be signed by you and witnessed by one of our employees prior to leaving the staging location. By signing this document, you waive certain legal rights including the right to sue should you become involved in an accident. Please read and understand the waiver before you arrive. Please do not print this waiver – there will be a copy for each guest to sign at the hangar.
3) Obtain cancellation, medical and evacuation insurance
3) Obtain cancellation, medical and evacuation insurance.
Trip cancellation/interruption and medical insurance is available for Visitors to Canada and Canadians. For your peace of mind and to avoid any financial hardship that an unexpected cancellation, interruption or medical emergency could cause, we strongly recommend contacting Uniglobe Specialty Travel to receive trip insurance details and a quote.
4) Pack your stuff
4) Pack your stuff! Check your equipment and refer to Mistaya Lodge suggested equipment list for your holiday.
5) Travel to Golden, BC
5) Travel to Golden BC. Check your travel time from your point of origin:
- 2 hours from Revelstoke, BC
- 3 hours from Calgary, AB
- 3 hours from Cranbrook, BC
Since all roads that lead to Golden, including the TransCanada, are subject to weather/accident closures, we highly recommend arriving at least the day before.
6) Relax for the night in Golden, BC
6) Relax! Enjoy a delicious meal and comfortable accommodation in Golden the night before you fly in to Mistaya.
7) Double check your packing
7) Double-check your packing job. Below is a list of what to expect for helicopter travel.
- Space is limited on the helicopter. Gear must be limited to essentials – see #4 above for gear suggestions.
- Gear above the baggage allowance will not be allowed. See below for baggage allowance:
- Summer: a small soft-sided duffel bag and day pack and alcohol weighing 30 lbs in total.
- Winter: a medium soft-sided duffel bag no bigger than 60L and day pack and alcohol weighing 35 lbs in total. Skis are not included in this weight.
- One pair of skis is allowed. Please do not bring ski bags.
- Soft backpacks and duffel bags only.
- Not allowed: suitcases and backpacks with external frames or wheels.
- Yes there is wifi, it is very limited and the staff must have it for communication and safety. Please leave large devices down in the valley (I am able to keep it safe at the office if needed) Please only use the wifi for text and emails, you are in the backcountry enjoy Unplug! Download books before arriving or we have a great library at the lodge!
- Items attached to your bag may be removed in order to fit in the helicopter.
- Items such as hiking poles, walking sticks, and tripods should be carried as separate items. Please do not pack them in your luggage.
- Bear spray and any other flammables must be kept separate from your other gear and identified to the helipad personnel. These items will be put in a specific compartment on the helicopter.
- Please wear appropriate attire in the helicopter – ski clothing, including your helmet in the winter. Hiking clothing in the summer (no flip flops or sandals)
- Your gear will be loaded and unloaded from the helicopter by our staff.
- Animals are not allowed in the helicopter.
- Check your suggested equipment list if you have any questions.
8) Flight day
8) Flight Day! Meet at the Alpine Helicopter Hangar at 8:45 am Mountain time (Alberta Time) on the day of your departure. The Alpine Helicopters hangar is located on Fisher Road at the Golden Airport. It is the LAST hangar on the left.
Directions to the hangar:
- Go south on 9th Street South to 5th Ave South.
- Turn right onto 5th Ave South. Continue straight (5th Ave South becomes Fisher Road).
- Follow Fisher Road, over the railway tracks and around the bend. Alpine Helicopters is the LAST hangar on your left.
- If you get lost, please call the hangar at 250-344-7444.
9) Prepare for flight day procedure
9) Prepare for the flight day procedure.
Mistaya staff will meet the group at Alpine Helicopters at 8:45am on the day of your departure. You will be guided through the following process:
- Bring all gear in and have it weighed.
- Park your vehicle in the compound area.
- Review and sign your waiver(s) with one of our staff members.
- Please wait patiently until all guests have done the above.
- You will be put into groups according to helicopter flights, and a group weight will be taken.
- ALL guests will be introduced to your pilot, and a helicopter safety briefing will be done. Please be quiet and pay close attention to this information. You are about to have an amazing flight through the mountains: let’s make it a safe one!
- The first group will depart from the hangar for the 20 minute flight. Mistaya Lodge staff will take the other groups for a beautiful drive to the Blaeberry Valley staging area. Flight time from there will be 16 minutes; this reduces flight costs and noise traffic over Golden.
10) Prepare for the weather
10) Prepare for the weather! All flights are subject to the possibility of weather delays.
Please be patient, as Mistaya and Alpine Helicopter staff will do our best to complete your transfer in a timely matter, as safely as possible. If there is an overnight delay, all guests are responsible for their own food and accommodation in town. Note: this has only happened once in 15 years!
This place is sheer magic!Bob, California, USA