Backcountry safety at Mistaya Lodge is a daily focus.
Our Ski Guides
Our knowledgeable ski guides are certified by the ACMG (Association of Canadian Mountain Guides), a globally recognized organization known for their highly respected standards. The guides maintain their excellence with regular ACMG professional development sessions to update their first aid, emergency prevention protocols, avalanche safety, and emergency procedures.
- Ski guides carry radios for communication
- Emergency and First Aid gear are available in the valley if needed
- Emergency evacuation protocol in place
Safety starts at the helicopter hangar. When our guests arrive, the Alpine Helicopter Pilots run a safety briefing, and review the safety protocols. After settling in at Mistaya Lodge, all guests participate in a transceiver practice session to ensure everyone has proper equipment and knows how to use it.
Guests are responsible for ensuring their personal comfort and safety:
- Please dress adequately for our winter alpine environment. See the complete winter equipment list in our Trip Planner
- Helmets – our guides do wear helmets
- All guests will carry up to date avalanche safety gear (shovel, probe and transceiver) these can be rented at the lodge but must be pre-arranged at the time of reservation. See our Equipment Rental List.
- Bring sun screen, daily and emergency medications (such as epi-pens if known allergens), and blister prevention/relief
- Purchase adequate travel insurance. If a guest needs to be evacuated, it is at his or her expense. Insurance information.
Risk assessment and avoidance are essential to safety, and our guides take their job very seriously. Prevention and preparation help ensure our guests’ safety while carving unforgettable ski lines in breathtaking terrain!
Weather and Snow Conditions
As part of their risk assessment and management, the guides constantly monitor weather, avalanche safety, and snow conditions. Each day we assess the weather and our guests’ interests and abilities, and develop a skiing plan that that provides for a safe, fabulous day!
The Bottom Line
Backcountry safety at Mistaya lodge is our top priority. Regardless of how inviting a run may look, or how sparkly and fluffy the snow is, if your guide has any doubt about the safety of the run, the group will not be skiing it.
Awesome! Some of the best skiing of my life – whooping down the big boulders under the WildCat falls!
Wow I feel lucky that my first backcountry ski week happened to be at Mistaya.
More than expected especially the staff.
What a special space with really special people. A feast for the senses – thank you so much!
Thanks to the hardworking, fun-loving staff at Mistaya. We had a blast!
Truly an incredible time! Thanks!
My second visit to Mistaya after a break of 9 years – why did I wait so long?
I can’t think of a better way to bring in the New Year
Thanks for the great facility – beautiful clear weather- fabulous views – skied to my hearts content.
Thank you for an awesome week of skiing. Lots of sun and untracked powder. It was great!